Traffic control people (flag persons) working at construction sites are there to make certain everyone gets by safely. It can be a dangerous job, so please Respect the Cone Zone.
How to Drive Safely in a Cone Zone
- Slow Down
- Plan your route and allow extra travel time.
- Expect the unexpected and don’t tailgate.
- Slow down to posted speed limits and pay attention.
- Allow extra space between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
- Keep your eyes (and ears) on the road
- Never use a cell phone or text while driving.
- Follow sign and flag directions.
- Get to know the work zone signs.
- Show respect for roadside workers
- Make eye contact.
- Keep your cool and be patient.
- Slow down even if you don’t see anyone working. Hazards such as traffic shifts or lane reductions may appear suddenly.